Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

We replaced the tranny in our 2000 Avalon, while doing this

Customer Question

Customer: We replaced the tranny in our 2000 Avalon, while doing this we had to remove the battery. Once completed, we reconnected the battery. Now at random times the alarm with go off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have tried several combos with the door locks, like manually locking and unlocking the driver door. Even unplugging the battery ground.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I can probably help you solve this issue, but first I need more information:

• When you say "the alarm goes off", can you describe what happens in more detail (EX: only alarm horn blows, all three horns blow, door locks activate, engine turns off, etc.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This will take time to answer, as the issue is unpredictable. I will give what we can for now though.When we set the alarm (car is armed and doors are locked), in the middle of the night (or anytime really, roll the dice), the alarm will trigger for no reason. This is not related to the key fob, we have replaced it with keyless entry just to be sure. We have had the problem for some time now and just leave the car unlocked to avoid the hassle of disruption to the neighbors.I will have to wait for it to happen again, to know which horns are sounding. I have done the recommended factory reset with the ignition multiple times, but this time I did a couple extra steps explained below, we are waiting to see if that worked.Step for ignition reset.1. Unlock and close all doors.
2. Disconnect the battery for 5 min.
3. Reconnect the battery.
4. Close the hood.
5. Enter the car and close the door.
6. Place key in ignition and turn to ACC, then to On; repeat 5 times.We are hoping this worked, sometimes will take a few days for the issue to surface.We thank you for you help and will report back. Let us know if you have further instructions.Thanks,
Jerrame Hertz

Thank you for that information. One thing that jumped out at me was what you wrote about replacing the key fob with keyless entry. Did you use a Toyota keyless entry sytem? If it's not, then I would need to know in great detail how it is installed, what was replaced, etc. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to help you.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far it seems the reset process i explained, fixed the problem. Still waiting to be sure. The fob was replaced as an attemp to fix the issue, but didn't succeed in fixing. So the fob is unrelated. This is the first system to cause this issue in our shop. Replacing the fob with keyless entry usually bypasses security issues.Thought maybe you would know if we did the wrong steps for factory reset on a Toyota Avalon of this age.Thanks anyway for your input.Have a great evening.

Looks like I got confused when I read the part where you posted "... we have replaced it with keyless entry just to be sure." For some reason, I understood you had replaced the system, not just the fob.

Anyways, being that these anti-theft systems are complex, the more specific information we get, the quicker we can come up with a solution.

Hope to work with you again in the future. Best Regards.