Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2008 Tundra 4x4. Last night as I was sliding on

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2008 Tundra 4x4. Last night as I was sliding on some ice and my traction control engaged. Just then I stopped and put truck in park. This caused my stop fuse to blow. I have replaced it twice now but every time the turn the truck off the fuse blows and I cant shift into gear. Thoughts?
Thank You!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before we begine, could you please advise if this vehicle has a trailer hitch with a trailer harness? Thiis might be an issue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it does not. It definitely occurred due to engaging the traction control once and putting into park too quickly.

This sounds like the solenoid that locks the shifter is damaged. This can happen if you jam it into park real hard. The traction control will not cause the brake light fuse to blow. The brake light is an input, not an output.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How easy is it to replace solenoid and cost? Thanks

Its not easy. The entire shifter needs to come out. About 2.5 to 3 hours labor. Plus the cost of the solenoid, assuming it is the problem. About 500 dollars

Let's try something.....Open the hood, and open the fuse panel. Locate the BRK No.1 Relay and pull it out. Fit a new fuse and see if it continues to blow.