Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a mystery going on.
, I was driving at about 65

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and I have a mystery going on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was driving at about 65 mph and came to a stop light....slowed down and made the stop....my engine shut off (which has never happened) and I restarted it but when I engage it into drive, it chugged and barely had power to move, the engine acted like it was out time and I ended up pushing it to the side and calling a tow truck..The shop has it and has been unable to find a cause for my problem. The car is a 1996 Celica.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I agree with your initial thoughts; It sounds to me also that the car has a timing belt issue that caused the engine to be out of time. This should be fairly easy for a competent shop to determine.

If the engine is NOT out of time, it is possible that the fuel pump is not sending proper fuel pressure to the engine. That too would be easy to determine. There is naot a lot of high technology on this particular engine. It is rather easy to determine the issues without a lot of test equipment.

Please confirm you have received my input; thanks