Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My name is hong. my 2005 sienna had code p0441, p0446, and

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** 2005 sienna had code p0441, p0446, and p0455. my question is that (1) can it be fixed by my self? (2) how much does it cost to fix if I send it to car repair shop?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the check engine light is on today. i used code scanner OT-610 to read the OBD codes my car is about 110000 miles
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 10 months ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

This codes are for an EVAP leak , the fumes from you gas tank are escaping from the system into the air.

Unfortunately the easiest way to find the leak is using a smoke machine ,this machine will pump smoke into the evap sytem and this way we can see where it's leaking.

Possible problems ,starting with the most common ...vent valve solenoid (mounted on the evap canister by the fuel tank) , gas cap , the evap canister itself ,purge valve solenoid (in the engine bay,top of the engine) and also damage hoses or lines from engine to tank and evap canister .

As you see there are a few possibilities,smoking the system is the first step.

Costs ??? an hour labor to do the smoke test (from 80 to 100 dollars independent shop) and the parts you may need and labor to replace them.

The most expensive part is the evap canister ,you can get the assembly for about 300 dollars, use to be 500 for the dealer.

Did you try to pull the gas cap off and then put it back in and make sure is tight ,clear the codes and drive the vehicle to see if problem goes away ?

Good luck.

Let me now.

Thank you.