Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My name is ***** ***** and my 1997 Camry 2.2 has a power

Customer Question

Customer: Hello. My name is ***** ***** and my 1997 Camry 2.2 has a power steering leak at the pump area I cannot find. I have replaced the pump and hoses but it only leaks when the car is driven for a while. It will not leak sitting idle, even when the rpm's are raised and the wheel is turned lock to lock.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have replaced the union bolt seal washers with the joined ones from Toyota several times with no luck. They are thinner than the copper washers.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. As I understand the issue, the power steering fluid is leaking. Are you saying that the leak is visible, after driving, but no leaks are present at idle. Also, where is the leak or you cannot see it? Is this correct?

Hello. DO you still need assistance on this request? Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As I said it is at the pump area but the pulley slings everywhere

I had a problem like this once a while back. We had leaks at the copper washers. Turns out the banjo bolt was bottoming out and not compressing the washers properly (because they were too thin). Before I did anything else, I would try to locate thicker washers.