Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a toyota sienna 2001. It won't start and can't

Customer Question

I have a toyota sienna 2001. It won't start and can't jumpstart it. Below the steering wheel console and on the right (around my right knee area) is a black thing with a flashing red light. It has no adjustments on it so will not turn off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, that sounds like it's an aftermarket add on alarm that was somehow triggered, did this happen after jump starting or disconnecting the battery?

check the back of flashing red light to see if there is a push button on it?

Check the left side kick panel, is there a small toggle switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car wouldn't start, not even tried to turn over, and then we tried to jumpstart. I would say that the flashing light probably did start after that, or I would have noticed it before. I can't find a push button anywhere nor a toggle switch. We have only owned this vehicle a few months, so don't know its history. The key is not of the chip technology, and we've had no starting issues at all until now.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for that info

Not sure what type of alarm system you have but it's not from the factory, I can give you instructions for disabling the alarm and hope this works"

remove the key from the ignition

remove the negative battery cable

put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON

Leave the door open

reconnect the battery

enter and leave door open then try to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitly try that in the morning. It's freezing rain right now and dark so I'll continue the conversation in the morning. Thank you.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried your suggestion and the car did not start and the light kept blinking red. We ended up towing it to a shop and it's been sitting there since then, as they have been too busy to look at it.