Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1998 Toyota Tercel. it works like a top, but when

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Toyota Tercel . it works like a top, but when pulling in the low gears it skips my husband has but new plugs, timing chain, high test gas, it has been put a machine to see what the problem is and it does not show any problems . Can you help me
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. First, high test gas is detrimental in this engine. The engine is not designed for this octane and will cause drive-ability issues. Use 89 octane only.

Second, teh correct spark plugs is also critical. Use only factory recommended NIPPONDENSO spark plugs. Other plugs will cause poor acceleration and rough running

Third, uses only genuine Toyota electrical components (air/fuel sensors, oxygen sensors, coil packs, etc). On Toyota cars, inexpensive replacement parts are well known for contributing to poor engine performance.

If the car is indeed running bad, the reason should show up on a scan. If there are problems, the check engine light should be on and the problem reasons stored in the computer. If a scanner does not show problems, perhaps the scanner is not good enough to extract History and Pending codes, which are critical to proper diagnosis.

One thing to remember: The timing can be one tooth off. This will cause poor performance, and, on a 1998 engine, will NOT have any codes in it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer