Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Towing a caravan and when going up lls total loss of power.

Customer Question

Towing a caravan and when going up hills total loss of power. I get to 4000 rpm in 1st gear and it still drops down to 1500 rpm. It feels like its lost both turbos. I was down to 15kh going up Cunningham gap. Ididnt think I was going to make it.
Tks Ian
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Is this a caravan you have towed before with this vehicle without issue, or did you just start towing this caravan for the first time?

Not knowing the history, I do need to ask if you verified that you were well within the weight limits of towing with your vehicle, which does include passenger weight and cargo weight in the vehicle as well as anything stowed in the caravan

Any issues with going uphills without towing

Any smoke out the tailpipe while you were going uphill

Did you notice and loss of boost pressure on the boost gage

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you to provide as much detail as possible. thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Caravan and tow vehicle have been used for 12 months. No probs with power without van. No smoke under load. Dont have a boost gauge. Caravan weight within limits.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Having a boost gage would have definitely helped in determining if the turbo is even working under aload. I am not sure I can help at this point so I will open this back up to other experts.