George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Putting cigarette lighter power into a camper shell from 12v

Customer Question

Customer: putting cigarette lighter power into a camper shell from 12v battery
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: building sleep platform in a pickup truck...want power for led reading lights and 12v fan. need advice for inverter for small heater
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 10 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If you want enough power to run a heater you will need to install a dedicated circuit straight off the battery. A fuse at the battery and 12 gauge wiring properly protected to the rear will give you 20 reliable amps to use. I don't know ifthat would run a heaer but it will drain a battery fairly fast.

Please let me know what you are thinking of so I can help

Thank you