C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.
73583367

2002 collora battery new but was dead by morning. Recharged

Customer Question

2002 collora battery new but was dead by morning. Recharged it, now lights flash and/or cooling fan runs with key out on cold engine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you recharge the battery while it was still connected to the battery cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after using jumper cables to bring it home.

The Jumper cables popped a fuse. I am not at home at the moment to look up the fuse block to find the exact one. I will be home this evening. If you want to go through and check them that would be great. But the jump did pop a fuse causing these issues. You are looking at the EFI fuse being blown.

Its a 15amp fuse located under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm...the battery that was in it ran down in about 6 hours..it had not been jumped or charged.

Did you get a chance to check the fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
EFI 15 amp Fuse is ok

Okay, Turn the key to the on position. Check to see if the check engine light is on key on and during crank. Check to see if there is battery voltage to two terminals at the EFI main relay. There should be one constant 12 volts and one with 12 volts key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starts and run fine. To keep battery from discharging, I remove negative cable. Once I put negative cable onto battery....and after few minutes the headlights flash then the radiator fan begins to run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not fixed. Battery still discharges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any suggestions as to what is causing the battery to discharge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please read text again. It is not fixed.

Sorry I have been away. But that sounds like a issue with the battery or a short to ground somewhere. If you put a multimeter across the battery when it is running what is the voltage readings with the neg off and on the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14.5 volts

When you put the negative on and it starts discharging do the volts drop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have answered to quickly. Running it is 14.5 on both terminals. Have not disconnected negative cable...will try it.

14.5 is correct but if the lights are flashing and discharge fans ect it should drop down but if not than the problem is not related to the battery or alternator and it is likely something else. Just trying to rule out one thing at a time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with neg off only drops to 14.4. If it is alright with you, I will summarize the problem from the top.

I am going to open this up to other experts maybe one has seen this problem recently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 Corolla summary of discharging battery overnight.
Daughter drove it to work. 6 hours later battery dead…about Midnight, a week ago Friday.
Be too busy to test it thoroughly, I put in a new battery that was a week ago Saturday.
My daughter drove it Saturday. By Sunday morning, a week ago, the battery was dead again.
I full charged the battery. Started the car. It ran fine. I looked for any lights on in trunk, dome, etc. All were off.
Went to Auto Zone to have the charging system tested and battery. Both tested good.
Drove it back home, pulled into my garage, to look for possible causes that would drain the battery when it was not in use or running. To my surprise, with the key in my hand, the headlights and parking lights flashed…then the cooling fan started with second cooling fan turning on….pulled the neg. cable.
I took a nap…with the engine complete cold. I put the negative cable back on within minutes the headlights flashed and the cooling fans came on…the key is in my hand.
Google some possible causes. DRL and grounds behind kick panels. Inspected DRL and grounds…both looked fine…cleaned grounds to be sure.
That is where the discharging battery problem, when not running and key out, stands today.

Try disconnecting the daytime running light relay and the see if that stops the lights from coming on. I think the ECM is the issue here because you have two completely different things happening but they are both controlled by the ecm.