Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2007 toyota sequoia. I went to start it. It started

Customer Question

I have a 2007 toyota sequoia. I went to start it. It started momentarily then died. I tried it again and got the same result. Then after that, nothing. No click, nothing. I did have all the dash lights on. I checked out the battery and it was good. I tested the starting relay and it was functional. I put the battery charger on over night. The next day I tried starting it again and it almost started then nothing. Since then, I have installed a new Denso starter I bought at a Toyota dealer. I tried it again. It turned over 2 or 3 times and now nothing. I am a retired electrican and very careful with taking apart and reassembling things! Do you have a couple of ideas I can try? Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like a bad Park Neutral ("P/N") Switch. Pull the ST RELAY and test for power. With the key off you should have power in one socket. Then have someone turn the key to START. Power should appear in another socket . In electrical terms, your constant battery power would be on pin 5 of the starter. Your Start Signal should be present with the key at start position in Pin 1. Pin 1 causes the relay coil to energize and close the contacts, which then transmits power from pin 5 to 3 which is the load side. Pin 2 should have a solid continuity to ground. If you do not see power to pin 1 the park neutral switch is faulty, or the wire connector to the P/N switch is corroded. I suspect a bad P/N switch

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have 2 relay-fuse boxes. The smaller one has a st relay. However, it only has 4 contacts for that relay. You are talking about a number 5 pin. What gives? Also, I have no way of knowing what the pin numbers are. Help!!

I am on the road at the moment. I will get back to you after 10 pm east coast time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not understand what is going on. Are you saying I must pay more for an answer to my 18 january 2016 04:02 question?Why is it takeing so long a responance?

No. The site has some type of popup that alludes to more expense. Please disregard that. As a matter of fact, I was just alerted that you posted. We are having some really bad weather here. Internet is very slow if online at all. Apologies for the pin numbers, I assumed since you were a retired electrician, you might be familiar with pin callouts. Apologies.

Pull the ST relay and check for power. You should have power in one of the sockets. Then, have an assistant turn the key to start. Reprobe all of the sockets. An additional socket should show power with the key to start position. Advise of your findings.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My st relay does have 5 pins.My mistake. However, I get no power at all on any of the 5 pins with the key off or on. Do you still suspect the p/n switch? If so, let me know and I will remove it. Thank you.

No power at any of the ST relay sockets? Please confirm. Key on, you should have power at one pin. Key to start, power should appear at another pin.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Comfirming! No power on any pins for the st relay. I got to tell you I really like your website.

Why thank you. We appreciate the kind words. No power to any terminal socket on the ST relay: Open the fuse panel under the hood. Locate the following fuses, pull them out, inspect them for being blown, replace if blown:

30 amp ST

7.5 amp STA

Check for power in both fuse sockets and verify there is power with the key on