Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota 4 Runner moonroof not closing all the way. It stops

Customer Question

Toyota 4 Runner moonroof not closing all the way. It stops about three inches short of closing. It is a 2005.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Without looking at the issue in person, and measuring the amperage draw of the motor, experience in this same issue leads me to believe that the sunroof drive cables may be rusted. This causes a bind condition inside the tubes that the drive cables run in. Replacement of the drive cables (if thsi is indeed true), is a highly laborious task. The entire headliner needs to be removed to drop the sunroof assembly out of the roof panel. Only then can the cables be replaced.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No rust at all. Mostly garage kept. The moonroof moves back and forth easily but stops just before closing.

You would not see the rust, the cables are in tubes that are under the sunroof assembly/above the headliner. It is possible that the motor is weak, it is designed to stop if there is excessive resistance (like if somebody was standing in the opening and it was switched to close. The high resistance in the motor opens a circuit inside the motor unit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sounds like a dealership issue. It is very cold here, maybe it needs cleaning and lubrication

Yes. A dealership issue for sure. Perhaps they can lower the headliner for you and squirt some penetrating oil into the drive cable tubes. That might help...but, if the cables are indeed the issue, I would replace them. No need to pay to drop the headliner twice.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When it was closed, one side seem not to shut down as tight as the other side and rattled. This was the backside left. The front side was tightly closed.

That tells me that you have a cable issue. One side is working and the other side is binding up. That is a classic symptom.