Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Have a 2001 Toyota gh Lander .. often enough I'll try

Customer Question

have a 2001 Toyota High Lander .. often enough I'll try shifting from park to reverse and it won't move, even when the brake is pressed in.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please go to the car and see if the brake lights work. If the brake lights do not work, the car will not come out of park, as the brake lights coming on sends power to a lockout device under the shifter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brake lights work

If the brake lights work, then either the solenoid/lockout device under the shifter is faulty, something got spilled at the shifter area which is causing the solenoid to not relase, the wire is disconnected, or a combination of the above. There is a way to take it out of gear via the small square knockout that is to the upper left of the shifter on the console.

Press on the brake, set the park brake, start the vehicle. Pry out the little square and press the button under the little square. Then with the button pressed, pull the shifter out of park.

Until you get the solenoid issue rectified, you will need to shift the car out of park as described above.