MDT-89
MDT-89, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Master Diagnostic Technician
91552914

My son t a pot hole, then a curb. The tire blew and the rim

Customer Question

My son hit a pot hole, then a curb. The tire blew and the rim is bent. Could hardly park it where it was safe. Put the spare on and still can't move the car. It's dragging get and grinding when we try to drive straight and worse when the wheel turns
Category: Toyota
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Hello... Lets see what we can get figured out. It sounds to me like a lot more damage was cause to your suspension components then just the tire and rim. Can the vehicle drive? How is your steering?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nope, can't go far to steer. I had to leave it in a nearby parking lot.
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Okay. I have seen this same situation multiple times. You will need to take your vehicle in to a shop to get the suspension components inspected. There is a possibility that your lower control arm and struts has been damaged due to the impact. Another possibility is your steering rack. These components are crucial for your steering ability and may be the cause of not being able to steer. I hope that helps!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should I get insurance involved to get it towed to a Toyota shop?
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

I would definitely consider it. If the repair is more than just a tire and rim, which we believe it is, it will be costly and I am sure more than your deductible. A dealer can definitely guide you with that and assist you with speaking to your insurance if your insurance requires it.

Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

I hope that helps. If there is nothing else my rating is now open. Thanks you and good luck.