Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

My 07 Prius coded pao80. it did this about 2 years ago also

Customer Question

Customer: My 07 Prius coded pao80. it did this about 2 years ago also and I took the HV battery apart and found two bad cores. I changed the 2 out and balanced the hv battery. Today same code took the HV battery out and all the cores are 2 cells are at 8.11v, one is 8.16v and the rest are 8.23v. this voltage seems a bit high. The cooling fan is working and the inverter pup is good. The other odd thing is after setting an hour the gauge shows one purple bar but when driving all the green ones are lit.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The red triangle and the warning light on the info screen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Is the code possibly P0a80 Rather than pa080?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Read my whole question, I gave a lot of information.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you did, and I make sure I have accurate information before answering your question. That way, I make sure to give you the BEST information. First thing to check, as there is a service bulletin for this condition, is the cooling fan and ducts. Make sure they are clean and free of debris. Also, make sure the cooling fan is operating. If that checks out, since your battery cell voltages do not vary by more than .3 volts, you will need to replace the battery ECU. This is based on both my personal all experience and the Toyota repair manual diagnostics.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fan is new from the last time the cells were changed and does work, and all is clean. I notice ebay fans from wrecked cars have a range of different part numbers but the cross-reference guide says all 2006-2009 are the same. Do not have dealer price money so is the cross-reference guide correct?
Thank you,