MDT-89
MDT-89, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Master Diagnostic Technician
91552914

I am looking into purchasing a 2005 Land Cruiser from New

Customer Question

Customer: I am looking into purchasing a 2005 Land Cruiser from New York. I'm in California and they say it has rust on the undercarriage. I'm not sure if I should even go and look at it. Thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Should I even consider buying a 2005 land cruiser with rust on the undercarriage?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: no thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Hello... Lets see what we can get figured out? Did they mention to you the severity of the rust?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they said "surface rust"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is the description!** CARFAX CERTIFIED - PLEASE NOTE AN ACCIDENT WAS REPORTED TO CARFAX BACK IN 2012 - VEHICLE HIT A PARKED CAR WHILE REVERSING, REAR BUMPER WAS DAMAGED AND FIXED THROUGH AN INSURANCE COMPANY. THIRD PARTY INSPECTIONS ARE WELCOME.
** PLEASE NOTE VEHICLE CAME FROM EAST COST AND SHOWS SOME SURFACE RUST ON UNDERCARRIAGE. THIRD PARTY INSPECTIONS ARE WELCOME.- See more at: http://www.mdk-global.com/2005-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-NAVIGATION-DVD-3RD-ROW-SEATS-Burbank-California-91504/5674740#sthash.6sEHiRJk.dpuf
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Rust on vehicles in the east coast is a normal occurrence. Surface rust will not usually cause much harm. The rust that becomes a problem is when it begins to eat away at the metal components like your frame, suspension components, and actual body. You would be able to begin to see wholes penetrating these areas when it becomes a problem. If the price is right the only thing I would recommend you do is to take it in to a shop so they can get the vehicle on a lift and thoroughly inspect the bottom end of your vehicle. I have seen plenty of vehicles come from the east coast with surface rust and no issues.

Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

I really hope that helps you. Another thing to do like when purchasing any vehicle I would want to inspect the vehicles operation from cold start all the way up to running temperature. That way you get a complete view of the vehicles condition. The land cruisers are really good and reliable models.