Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Their I'm trying to get info on why ,the smell of gas and

Customer Question

Hello their good evening, I'm trying to get info on why ,the smell of gas and hard starting,meaning it takes a lot of turning the switch on and off ,and depresing of the gas pedal to turn the car on
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 10 months ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

Do you have a low engine idle after the engine starts ,or, is the idle around 1400 rpm's when the engine stars in cold ?

The most common problem on this engines when you have a hard start and a gas smell is the IAC valve (intake air control valve).

This valve helps to create a rich mix that your engine need to start when cold ,if the valve is bad you will have a lot more fuel then air for the engine to start ,this will give you the gas smell .

This IAC valve is mounted on your throttle body and the best way to replace it is removing the throttle body off the intake ,there are two small coolant hoses one vacuum hose and an electric plug.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks I'll let you know

OK.Let me know.

Thank you.