Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Prius won't start in the cold weather right now. It's 3

Customer Question

Customer: Prius won't start in the cold weather right now. It's 3 degrees. Worked last night. The dash lights come on but the engine won't start and never get the ready light
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else would you like to know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Have you checked the 12 volt auxiliary battery in the trunk? it may discharged below 12 volts. try to jump start with another car and if it starts replace the 12 volt battery with one that is made for hybrid applications.

It can be jump started from under the hood, there is an access point in the fuse box, it has a red cover on it with a plus sign, attach the positive cable there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. What is in the trunk itself though? If I am jumping it in the front, why would I be in the back?

The 12 volt battery is in the trunk on the right side in the fender well, the access point under the hood is directly connected to the battery, it's easier to jump the battery under the hood than to remove the spare tire cover and tool tray in the trunk.