Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have an 04 Camry, 2.4Litre, 4-cylinder automatic - LE. I

Customer Question

Customer: I have an 04 Camry, 2.4Litre, 4-cylinder automatic - LE. I had a check engine code come across and it pointed to the vehicle speed sensor. I have the replacement part, I just don't know where it is located. Where is it? Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. My son was driving the car with me and the RPMs revved up, the speedometer went to zero and it was like the transmission disengaged from the engine - at the exact moment, the check engine light came on. I plugged in my code reader and it had the vehicle speed sensor code.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Can you give me the actual diagnostic code number that you got from the code number?

Does it have ABS?

Did any other warning lights turn on?

Since already have the part go ahead and replace it and see if it fixes it, the transmission speed sensor is mounted right on top of the transmission, you may have to remove the air intake pipe to get to it, there is a connector with two wires on it and a 12 mm size bolt securing it to the transmission case.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does have ABS. No other warning lights were turned on. The code was P0500 "Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction"

Thanks for the reply

Please give me a few moments and I'll get right back.

You said that you already bought a speed sensor, since you already have it try replacing it and see what happens, it's located directly on top of the transmission case, be sure to check the connector and wires for any signs of damage. Clear the code before driving it.