sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

When my 2005 Toyota Camry xle 3.0 litre is cold as in 1st 3

Customer Question

When my 2005 Toyota Camry xle 3.0 litre is cold as in 1st 3 minutes it shifts into overdrive just fine. After it gets operating temperature it is running about 3400 rpms at 70mph.. What could cause this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if your transmission is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue that could cause potential damage or it thinks it doesn't have complete control then it will limit shifting, usually to a single gear. This would explain the high RPM's at cruising speed.

There are many things that can cause limp in ranging from speed sensors, solenoids, wiring, internal transmission issues, the range sensor, or even the TCM itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes are stored in the TCM using a scan tool or code reader, and then testing will most likely need to be done at the time the problem is happening to know what is going on for sure.