Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

2001 Toyota 4Runner will not start, alarm went off and now

Customer Question

2001 Toyota 4Runner will not start, alarm went off and now engine is dead. Tried jumping the battery but the battery is fine, radio, lights work but when I open a door the horn goes off?? How do I reset the kill switch?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for posting your question.

The anti-theft and immobilizer systems are part of the original design made to prevent unauthorized entry and operation of the vehicle. It cannot be removed as an aftermarket unit would, nor it has a kill switch. It operates based on signals it gets from the original keys and/or remote fobs. It can be diagnosed using a capable scan tool loaded with the proper software.

Do you have any of the original keys or working remote fobs available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original keys are metal and do not contain chips. I do not have any fobs. There has to be a way to remove this device so my son does not have to worry about it on a car with 160k miles no ones wants to steal it .

I was assuming you were having problems with the factory anti-theft/immobilizer system. When you say "device", are you referring to an aftermarket alarm system? If so, there are several brands and models for which we don't have specific information. If you do have the factory version, then it wasn't made to be removed. For more information, you can call Toyota Customer Service at(###) ###-####

Best Regards.