Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2012 scion xb had the battery jumped backwards

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Checked all the fuses and they are all good looking for the main fuse to be sure. Car did not have owners manual so don't have a great diagram of fuse locations checked all with a meter to be on safe side. Not getting power to cab fuse box but have power to all fuses in engine
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.

Hello, the main fuse is actually incorporated in a modular fuse/link block, you should see it in the fuse box under the hood, it's white in color and has a transparent cover, it is bolted in, most likely there are a couple of segments burned out so you'll have to replace this entire fuse assembly. I'll see if I can attach a picture in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What if none of those in the assembly are blown they look very much intact

It's losing power between the fuse box in the engine compartment and the fuse box on the inside, this means that there is a blown fuse or fuse link in the box under the hood, there should be battery voltage to the 10mm post with the nut on it, almost all power from the battery goes through the fuse link to the other circuits and to the fuses inside the car.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Had power to all those fuses under that cover. But if something missing how would I remove that box

It's bolted in with the 10mm stud and nut where the large wire from the battery coonects and there is another bolt on the side at the other end

There are also plastic retaining clips that you can depress to release it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can't get to the other bolt and it looks like the fuse box all sits on top of it it doesn't just pull out

You will have to partially disassemble the fuse box to get to the other bolt, the fuse sub holders have snall clips on the side, you should be able to depress them and pull them up so you can get to the bolt.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you talking like all the way around the fuse box or just around that main fuse link

Just around the link so you can get to the bolt, I believe it's on the right side looking at that picture/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had to pull the whole fuse box out to get the link out in pushes out through inside of the box doesn't pull out until you pull the entire top half of fuse box then push down on link and it comes out the side.

Ok, unfortunately the Toyota factory manual doesn't give instructions on how to do this , although I have replaced a few of these types of fuse links on Camrys where the fuse box has to be removed and taken apart I knew that it had to be taken apart at least partially, I haven't figured out a shortcut around this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
K if I replace this and it doesn't fix it what else could it be just want to cover all bases

If it doesn't fix it just let me know and we can continue from there.