Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2001 toyota solara 2.2 liter... Getting code p0301

Customer Question

I have a 2001 toyota solara 2.2 liter... Getting code p0301 cyl. 1 misfire... Checked ign coil, secondary wire,and replaced spark plug... Also performed compression test 180 for all 4 cylinders... Replaced fuel injector cause when engine misfires exhaust manifold starts to glow... I suspect there could be a problem with injector wiring circuit or ecm... Not sure how to check??????
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.

Hello,thanks for posting

You can check for injector pulse voltage using a test light made for this, it's usually called a noid light which fits into the injector connector, the light will flash while cranking the engine if the computer is ending the on/off pulse voltage, you can trey using a regular 12 volt light but it may be too dim to see. For now turn the key on and use a voltmeter or test light to see if one wire to the injector shows a voltage of about 12 volts,if there is no voltage there may be an open wire in the injector harness, if there is voltage the next step would be to check for injector pulse.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Purchased noid light... injector signal is fine... still have problem...

Thanks for the reply

Now we.ve pretty much ruled out everything except maybe a large intake air leak at the #1 cylinder, the exhaust glowing red is caused by a very lean mixture but it doesn't seem to affect all cylinders only #1, have you checked for a possible intake manifild leak, possibly a gasket leaking, do you happen to have a vacuum gauge to check manifold vacuum.

As far as I know this has the 5SF-e engine and has no distributor and has two coils and wires is this the case?