Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

My 1999 Avalon clean has been throwing catalytic converter

Customer Question

My 1999 Avalon clean has been throwing catalytic converter codes for 3 months. Check engine light has been on for 1 month since the O2 sensors were replaced. Today MIL light began flashing, but then stopped, but engine runs just a little rough now. Why? Is it the catalytic converter finally done in? Could it be a cylinder misfire?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you either have a bad coil or bad plug wire, one half of engine has wires, other half coils, the flashing light means computer detected a miss and a code is now stored. so.. parts stores will scan for free, tell you the code and you can fix from there, I feel one of the 3 plug wires, it will NOT be the converter causing this BUT the conveter can and will be damaged by a miss with raw fule going into the conveter. so, fix miss as soon as you can, I feel it is one of the 3 plug wires, but could? be a coil. the trouble code set for the miss will tell this, so, if say code PO303 - cylinder 3,,,, PO306 - cylinder #6 I have inlcuded 2 links, one for wires and coils and the other shows what cylinder is which once you know the code set, Hope all goes ok, please remember to rate my service i provided today, thanks