Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 06 Sequoia is giving me issues with the heat, I turn it

Customer Question

Customer: My 06 Sequoia is giving me issues with the heat, I turn it on and it blows cold, until I begin driving. I've messed with the knob- you can hear when it clicks to AC and when it clicks to heat so it's not a knob issue. Did smell antifreeze though this morning after it wasn't working
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Ali
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you smell antifreeze, you have a coolant leak. On these engines, the water pumps are notorious for leaks at the seal where the impeller shaft is. When you have a coolant leak, you have air entering the system. This air takes the place of the lost coolant. When the coolant level is a bit low, the first thing that does not get enough coolant flow is the heater core. No hot coolant in the heater core = no heat to the interior. I would get the coolant small diagnosed as soon as possible. If left unattended, your engine might overheat (do to loss of more coolant) and you will end up with a very expensive repair bill. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the water pump (and the engine room coolant hoses) inspected for leaks. Also check the radiator. You may not see a leaking radiator pinhole when the engine is cold, but it may seep when the engine is hot. Have the cause of the coolant odor rectified. This should fix the no heat condition.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer