Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a rav4 that I like very much. I have been to 3

Customer Question

I have a rav4 that I like very much. I have been to 3 dealers,a private mechanic's business and a transmission business. They all tell me that the noise that I am hearing is not in the transmission. I contacted toyota.com and spoke to a woman named Miyuki and she said it sounded like a problem they have had with the drive train coupling. Took it back to Glockner in Portsmouth, Ohio and their supervisor of service says it's not that. He says it is a problem with the exhaust going through the pipes. If you look up my Vin # ***** you will see that I have been dealing with this since Dec. 2012. It is getting louder by the mile. Glockner's service manager told me that lots of toyotas have this problem. Why is there no extended warranty on the exhaust system?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on your explanation of the issue, I believe that you have a failed diverter valve inside the muffler. On RAV/4 Models, there is a flap that moves inside the muffler. The faster you accelerate, the further the flap is pushed open. This allows the engine to have a less restricted exhaust path, which allows a slight increase in engine power. These units do fail over time, moisture buildup, etc. Most likely, the muffler would need to be replaced to rectify the condition. It would be prudent, before you replaced the muffler, to have a shop remove the muffler, and road test it to see if the noise disappears. If so, the diverter valve is indeed the issue, and the muffler would need to be replaced. There is no extended warranty on the exhaust system. The muffler is considered, by Toyota, as something that could need to be replaced under normal conditions. You could speak with the Toyota District Parts and Service Operations Manager (the 'dealer representative") when he or she comes to visit your local dealership every month. The Rep has the ability to grant you what Toyota calls "goodwill assistance". The Rep may offer to replace the muffler at no cost to you, if you would be eilling to participate in the labor costs.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer