Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I just got led head and fog lights truck. When I hooked them

Customer Question

I just got led head and fog lights for my truck . When I hooked them up fog lights and one headlight would not come on so when I unplug one one head light would stay on and my fog would come on . So I jumped one side of the connector to the other side and all lights came on but when I turn on my brights i blow a fuse and all lights go out but my passenger headlight . This is on a 2006 tundra
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The problem you have my be incompatibility. There are two different styles of headlamps offered on the Tundra; one with daytime running lights, and the other without daytime running lights. Assuming you have wired it correctly, the incompatibility may be the issue. Please advise if the stock lights are or are not daytime running. Then we can move forward with the problem. Please note that I had a question similar to yours the other day. The problem turned out to not be the installation or the wiring, the light assembly was bad right out of the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have drl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Ok. Toyota headlamps work differently form most vehicles. The headlamps get power form the headlamp relay (which is turned on by the headlamps switch). The headlamps then get a Ground from the headlamp switch.

The Driver headlamp power "in" is Red with the Blue stripe. The passenger side power in is Red with a White stripe. You do not want to ground either of these wires with your new lamps.

Driver and passenger side LOW beams are Red with a Yellow Stripe

Driver and passenger HIGH beams are red with a green stripe.

You do not want to cross the low and high beam wires.

It sounds to me, based on how the fuse blows, that the wires are somehow crossed.