Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Johnb I am working on a 2003 camry with 4 cyl engine. The

Customer Question

Customer: Johnb I am working on a 2003 camry with 4 cyl engine. The VVT oil control valve does not have a bolt in the valve flange hole or the head hole. The valve is free to twist in the head. Is this normal? We purchased the car new and it has never had this system worked on until now. It had a trouble code of P-0012.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The trouble code indicated that the sensor is ok but there was a problem with the control valve or the oil flow to or from the control valve. I don't understand what is keeping the valve from sliding out of the head. There obviously was never a bolt installed to hold it in place.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Hello John... Lets see what we can get figured out.

Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

There should definitely be a bolt holding it in place.