gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

, Yesterday's cold weather, our steering wheel got

Customer Question

Customer: Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yesterday's cold weather, our steering wheel got locked. after starting the car for a hour, the steering wheel was moving 180 degree but not fully rotating but very stiff.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dealership /service company is recommending to change the rack and pinion which is costing around 1500. During my initial conversation with them they had mentioned water froze in steering rack which caused the steering wheel got locked and can't rotate more than 180 degrees.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 11 months ago.

What model of vehicle do you have? And what is your question, just confirming that what they are saying sounds plausible?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rav4 2006. My question is Does Rack and Pinion go out in fine morning due some water freezing around / in it under a extremely cold weather? The cost 1500 is that reasonable?

Did they try leaving it in the shop to fully unfreeze, and then flush the fluid out? You didn't have any warning lights on when you had the car running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They did kept for one night and now they are saying we will have to replace Rack and Pinion.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No warning lights.

How cold did it get in your area? I can only assume they are saying that the fluid absorbed water from the air over time, and when it got cold the moisture froze in the lines. I would think they would be able to flush the system out once it was thawed in the shop, new fluid, etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Around 10-15 F. Ok, but does it require to replace the rack and pinion?

I wouldn't think so, but they have their eyes on it- there may be damage caused that I can't see, lines cracking due to ice swelling them, etc. There are lines on the outside that transfer pressure from one end of the rack to the other, and they are integral to the rack and not replaced separately.

Is $1500 the installed price with labor? Because that is not too bad.