Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My Lincoln Navigator 98 will click once when I turn the key

Customer Question

My Lincoln Navigator 98 will click once when I turn the key but not turn over. Battery is good, cleaned terminals. no improvement. Has been developing slowly over a month but yesterday 6 attempts or so and it would click but not turn over.
Jump start did not change anything, still just 1 click
park and neutral: no difference
Battery less than 1 year old. inside lights still intense.
Some corrosion in + cable, I did clean terminals and clamps
Starter motor is originalSo get this: acting on another post I read I got in, locked the car with the key fob, waited 20 sec, unlocked car, and turned key. it started on 2nd try. Whomever posted that said it had something to do with the security system. what do you think: a coincidence? Either way there must be a weak spot: either cable corrosion, starter, relay, solenoid. Thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds more like a problem with voltage reaching the internals of the starter motor. If this car was in my shop, I would be having a tech turn the key to start while another tech was tapping on the side of the starter with a mallet. If the vehicle starts, the starter needs to be replaced.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer