Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 99' Rave4, 2.0 liter. When I was on the road the

Customer Question

I have a 99' Rave4 , 2.0 liter. When I was on the road the other day I heard a ping noise. And if it were a chevy I would say that I colasped a lifter. But all the lifters look good and feeler gauge check out to specs. I pulled value cover the spider geers seems to be making strange noise, and I have lifters clattering when it warms up with no load or RPM change?
Can you give me any help,please?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also the cam spider geers are lined up, intime.
Expert:  CARTECH replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern. First I am not standing in front of your vehicle. I can't see or hear what you are experiencing. I will try to give you my best educated guess with the information you give me.

can you isolate the noise to the camshaft sprocket/ timing belt area?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I used a metal rod to my ear, as close as I can get its on the left side of the spider geers, faceing engine. I can make out a slight what sounds like grinding or geers not meshing correctly. And the tappet noise in the same area. Sorry that the best I can narrow it down. Hope it helps?
Expert:  CARTECH replied 11 months ago.

helps some yes thank you. Has the timing belt been replaced? do you see excessive freeplay in the timing belt?