Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

2013 camry and there is this terrible bo smell when the car

Customer Question

2013 camry and there is this terrible bo smell when the car is started up with the ac on. It seems to happen a lot more lately when we first start the car up with ac on. after a few mins it goes away slowly. What is wrong with this car?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all i can to help. Have you had the A/C evaporator treated yet by chance? with a treatment system that is supposed to eliminate odors?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i don't think so. we have had the cabin air filter replaced recently. I think that is about it. I have noticed when its warm outside its not too bad in the morning. when its cold in the morning the smell is much worse i think.

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Is it a mildew type smell? usually those evaporators will have that mildewy type smell.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ya kinda smells like mold i guess

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Alright, the product you need is sold on amazon. There are a few different ones, but I've used this one before with good results. I have also sprayed some clorox mixed 50/50 with water directly into the cowl area where the air comes in, put it on recirc too and spray it directly into the air intake where the air recirculates through the car. This product is something you can do yourself and will kill the bacteria and mold in the air ductwork system. I believe that will sold your issue. and do this periodically once a year or as soon as you notice a smell to maintain it. Let me know if you have any further questions, and here is the link to the product I'm referring to.

http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamic-EVAP-ODOR-ELIMINATOR-ITD-OE1/dp/B004H8V1YA

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

sorry maybe I'm just not reading it right but I'm not sure where i am spraying this. inside the air intake in the engine bay? Anyway you could clarify or show pictures how this is done? thanks again

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Absolutely, The cabin air filter is easy to access on your model Camry, I would pull the cabin air filter, turn the A/C on high, and dispense the product DIRECTLY into the area where the cabin air filter sits, moving it around slightly to coat the evaporator. Refer to this video to remove the cabin air filter. I have also used WURTH brand and it works well too. So either one of those products that you can get will do a good job. Also, keep the A/C on fresh and not recirc as much, recirc tends to let more moisture build in the ductwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLezPP56WBs

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.