Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I read your post to replace the A/F sensor p1135 bank 1

Customer Question

i read your post to replace the A/F sensor for a p1135 bank 1 sensor 1 (-'02 Sienna, against the fire wall) trouble is, it WAS cross-threaded...now it's literally broken ...suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The threads of the AF sensor and the manifold are not the same metal. This causes an electro-galvanic reaction where the two dis-similar metals react and sort of 'weld' each other together. Than makes the sensors difficult to get out without the PB Blaster. Add in cross threading, it is most likely that the female threads have pulled out of the manifold. You have two options here:

1) remove and replace the manifold with a new one

2) remove the manifold and have a machinist or engine shop tech install a "Heli-Coil" into the damaged threads on the manifold. A Heli-coil is a device that is installed into the manifold where it has female threads in it so accept the sensor. Properly done, this is a permanent repair for this issue. Just make sure that either way you put anti-seize on the sensor threads before you install it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer