Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry LE (I know - it's old), the power

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry LE (I know - it's old), the power door locks and power windows stopped working and the 30A fuse is blown. Wiring problems are not my strong point but can muddle thru with some help. Any suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

I'll try to help you with this ,first a couple of questions:

Does the fuse blow right away after turning the key on without using either locks or windows?

If not, does it blow when using either and if so which causes the fuse to blow?

I also have a suggestion so you don't have to keep blowing new fuses, get a 10A circuit breaker from an autoparts store and connect it instead of the fuse, it will reset itself everytime the short is detected.

It would also help if you have a volt/ohm meter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fuse blows as soon as the ignition is turned on. The fuse is 30A, do I still purchase a 10A breaker?

Most of them are 10 amp, if you can find a higher amp one please use it but limit it to 30amp.

Does it still blow when disconnecting the master switch on the left side?

I'm going to check a wiring diagram to see which wires are shorting out so a volt/ohm meter would help there, you can get on for about $20 at the autoparts store,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I already have a volt/ohm meter. I haven't checked if fuse blows with master switch removed, I will do so after I get a breaker or more fuses.

Ok, I'm going to get my wiring diagram, let me know when you're ready to continue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got more fuses - couldn't get the breaker. Installed with engine running. Fuse did not burn out and door locks operated from rh door with master switch removed from lh door.

Ok, it sems then that the problem, if you plug the master switch back in and the fuse blows without pushing any buttons on the master switch then either there is a short in the switch or the wiring between the aswitch and the connector inside the left kick panel, I have seen a few times where wire insulation inside the harness between the door jamb where it goes to the inside of the body wears through and causes a sort circuit, there is a rubber insulation piece between the body and the door, where the wires pass through, the short may be there, wwith the awitch connected, remove the left kick panel and find where the harness comes through from the door, disconnect it from the connector, if the fuse stops blowing the problem is between there and the switch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I will try that tomorrow, I can't work on it any more tonight. Thanks.

You're welcome, I'll be online most of the day, I'm sure we'll get this resolved.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok

Good night.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I connected the master switch, disconnected the harness connecter behind the kick panel and turned on the ignition switch and fuse didn't blow. I tested the wires the best I could with ohm meter and all seem good. I want to check again as I was doing this in dark with flash light outside in freezing temperatures. I will try tomorrow. If they're good then I guess it is the master switch, right?

Yes, it would make sense but if the fuse still blows with the connector on in the kick panel and the master switch not connected then it would be a short in the wiring harness. I'm going to check the wiring diagram to see which wires from the switch should not be grounded and get back to you in a little bit.

Check the wires at the master switch with the connector unplugged and the connector at the kick panel connected, check for ground on all wires no wires except the white with black stripe should be grounded, if any show a ground disconnect the connector at the kick panel and let me know if it's the same or the ground goes away on that wire.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked that yesterday. The fuse did not blow with master switch disconnected and kick panel connector connected.

Ok, then it looks like the master switch has the short in it.