Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

89 Toyota 4 Runner with 3.0 litre engine cranks and runs 30

Customer Question

89 Toyota 4 Runner with 3.0 litre engine cranks and runs for about 30 seconds and acts like it ran out of fuel. Crank right back up and does the same. Prior to this it would crank and stay running and would run rough with vibrate when accelerated! New fuel pump and new fuel filter 2 weeks ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like you have a problem with the Circuit Opening Relay ("COR"). The COR is responsible for powering up the fuel pump. It has 2 separate sections inside it. One side for start up and another section for running. Most often, we find that the COR is bad when we see issues like you describe. The recommendation here would be to remove and inspect the COR; replace it if it has a rusted appearance. The COR is located on the passenger side fo the dahs, about level with dash heat duct.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer