Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

Do I really need to replace the timing chain cover on my

Customer Question

Do I really need to replace the timing chain cover on my 2003 Toyota 4 runner
I took it in for regular maint it has 148,000 miles
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The water pump was replaced at 114,616 miles along with spark plugs, drive belts, transmission fluids exchanged, etc all other regular maint.
At 131,000 complete brakes with rotors. Wouldn't they have noticed the timing chain cover leak?
What oil is it leaking on the chain cover ?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello. my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. Are you noticing any spots where you park? or are you having to add more than 1 or 2 quarts of oil between oil changes? Trying to get an idea of how bad it is leaking if indeed it is. thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No spots at all and oil is fine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Car is parked in a clean floor garage. I would have noticed the slightest oil drop.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, If you don't notice any spots, and it doesn't use any oil, then I would definitely question the severity of the leak. it sounds like it may be just seeping some to me. It would be motor oil that would leak at the timing chain cover. The cover is in the front near the harmonic balancer at the front of the engine that spins all the belts, if you take a flashlight and look down there and don't see anything leaking, and don't notice any spots. then I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe at next oil change, get someone to double check it, but it doesn't sound like it is leaking bad enough to me to warrant a replacement at this point. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.