Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry v6 and it's running real rough at

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry v6 and it's running real rough at an idle and major white smoke coming out the tailpipe and the motor is that 30000 miles from Japan and it was doing the same thing before I put the motor in with the old motor
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have huge clouds of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, you have a failed cylinder head gasket. The white smoke is the coolant inside the engine entering the combustion chamber where it becomes compressed. The white smoke is the end result of coolant entering the combustion chambers.

Assuming the muffler was not full of coolant from the original motor, it sounds like your replacement motor has the same issue.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a fuel problem I could smell gas it's not losing any coolant put a check compression before I put the motor in

You are smelling fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm smelling fuel lots of fuel and its just dumping into cylinders from the injectors

How much of the old engine did you re-use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't wanna switch to iPhone I don't want to pay $18 more take me off your list I want to be part of your club don't charge me no more money and I'm not satisfied with my with your help but you can keep the 20 bucks don't tap my card again

I did not ask you to switch to anything. That comes from the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you just the intake manifold and exhaust manifold in the injector rail the motor was from Japan so they didn't have any smog on it so I couldnt use the Internet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically long block hi to put my oil pan my valve covers I stripped the motor down to in and put my stuff on it

It does not matter where the engine came from, the injection is all the same. If your injectors are dumping fuel into the cylinders, and you re-used the injecotrs, you have bad injectors, or, you have a nick in one of the injector wires that is shorting to ground. The injectors get power all of the time whilst the engine is on. The computer pulses a ground to the injectors, which causes them to open and spray fuel.

if all of the injectors are good, and no shorts are found in the wire harness, I would be looking for a new fuel injection computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I test for ground in the wiring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using a positive wires getting ground

An easy way to tell what the problem is this: Go to you local auto parts store and tell them you want to buy a "Noid Light". The noid light , when installed on each of the fuel injector wire connectors, will blink as the engine runs. If the light is on steady, the computer is bad. I would do this before I ripped open the wire harness.

A test light or voltmeter will not work here. There is a circuit inside the noid light that reads the pulses of the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you I will try that and then I'll get back to you thank you again

You are very welcome. Apologies if we got off on the wrong foot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We didn't do I have to cancel my appt subscription from after my free seven days cuz I want to be charged a monthly fee

All subscription questions need to be addressed to Just Answer Customer Service. The expert base here is not permitted to have anything to do with subscriptions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I went and got the light to check the injectors when plugging into number for the light stays on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I unplug the wire to the injectors on 2 4 6 the car quit smoking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That means the computer is bad or is it the whole brain to the car or just to the fuel injectors

If the light stays on the injectors are not the problem. I wound next look for a chafed wire on the wire harness that those two injectors are connected to. If you find no problems in the wire harness, I would replace the fuel injection computer.

The light is supposed to blink on and off as the computer pulses the ground to the injector. If the light stays on, something is keeping the ground applied. Either a short to ground (wire harness issue; like a rodent chewed on it or it was scuffed at some point), or, a bad computer