Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Calhoun My 07 Avalon check engine light, VSC light, and

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Calhoun My 07 Avalon check engine light, VSC light, and traction light all came on. OBD reader says P0015-Exhaust Camshaft Position Timing- Over- Retarded (Bank 1). Do you know what that means?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It just cut on today. The car wasn't driving any differently. The car has been sounding odd lately though. It has a bit of a high pitch whine when idle and when starting to speed up. It does get a bit quieter once over about 40 mph
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The P0015 code relates to the control gear for the Variable Valve timing unit located on the camshaft. Most likely, it is sticking or moving improperly. Toyota issues a technical service bulletin that addresses this issue; perhaps the best thing you could do is take the car to a dealer service department and have the control gear checked. If it is faulty, it will need to be replaced. Note that this job is NOT something that is recommended if one is not skilled in camshaft removal. If you have the skills, you can replace it. If not, leave this one to the pros.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer