Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Am looking at purchasing a Toyota ipsum and have noted that

Customer Question

hi am looking at purchasing a Toyota ipsum and have noted that they are chain driven. I have been told that its not cheap to get fixed if the chain packs up. can u let me no thank you Judith thorn
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You have heard correctly, to a point. Toyota has moved away form a timing belt, in favour of timing chains, as chains do not stretch like belts do. With that being said, the protection that Toyota had to build into the engine (in case the belt broke) is no longer needed. That protection was the valve not hitting the pistons in the event of a belt break. With a timing Chain, it is much stronger, and less apt to wear, and not break (as long as it is not abused). Yes, if the chain breaks, the valve hit the pistons and they get damaged. This means thousands of dollars to repair (or replace). However, it takes quite a considerable amount of abuse to snap the chain.

To recap, do not let a timing chain engine sway you away form a purchase. These are actually better engines when it comes to fuel economy and efficiency, compared to a timing belt engine.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer