rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My rear door won't close

Customer Question

My rear door won't close
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It sounds like the striker to the latch is closed. You can open this on the door with your finger or screwdriver, or use your key to unlatch it by using the unlock mode or even your key fob to unlock all doors. If this procedure does not work, then your door latch is bad.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi; Thanks for the info but that is the first thing I tried and then I followed up with de icer and light pounding. I just unhinged the lock and secured it with a tie to the roof rack. I'll call the dealership and get them to change the lock. I don't know about the rating. Thanks.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it appears that the latch is bad then.

Thanks again and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me later on for this issue.