Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The lock bolt seems quite difficult to get small wrench on.

Customer Question

The lock bolt seems quite difficult to get small wrench on. Does removing the windshield washer container help?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

What are you trying to replace?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Trying to tighten altenator belt.

You have successfully removed the old alternator, but are having trouble tightening the bolt now?

Removal of the windshield washer reservoir is not indicated and I have never had to remove it on a corolla that I can recall. If you would like, I can probably find you a video for the replacement of the alternator from start to finish if that would help you.

toyota corolla doesn't make a DX, are you working on a honda civic?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Am trying to free the altenator and find the lock bolt difficult to access. Am using a short I/2 ring wrench-or trying to. Video might be helpful. Thx.

is this for a toyota corolla or honda civic?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in Trinidad and this is a 2002 Toyota Corolla hatchback import. It says DX at the rear. Has two belts and no tensioner. So to tighten the altenator belt I have to free the altenator.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
From Japan.

OH... alright. Which engine does it have? Is it the 1.8L?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure-the registration doc says 14 HP-like UK.

Alright. I'm really sorry, I didn't realize you were from Trinidad. I can't find any information on your car, but there are definitely differences between your 02 corolla and our 02 corollas. Ours have automatic tensioners. You are correct though in that you have to loosen up the alternator in order to tighten the belt. I am going to open this question in case someone else here has a diagram or something that can help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks-I know what to do ,but my problem is the lock bolt position seems really awkward and I cannot get a ratchet wrench in the narrow space. So at best can only get short ring wrench on the bolt which does not give much purchase.

Yeah.. problem is also that you won't be able to tighten it up good enough even if you do successfully loosen it. Something will have to be removed to allow you the room to get a ratchet in there. I don't suppose you could upload a picture of what your up against?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This model is a transverse engine, and the space between the alternater and the body of the car is very narrow. I have pictures of a similar setup from the web.

They are transverse here as well. Most cars now are. Could you provide me a link to your set up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can take a picture of it if you like. Can I uplode it on this site?

Yes. you can upload right here

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok-I will go and take pic.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, how to send

I am not positive since I have never experienced this on your end, but there is a link to upload files..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't understand "link to my setup" What do you need?

If you took a picture, I would like to see the picture you took