Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have an '07 Prius, touring model w/ remote and Nav, approx

Customer Question

I have an '07 Prius, touring model w/ remote and Nav, approx 170k miles. Just replaced the 12V battery with a Bosch direct replacement. Batt. started w/12.9v now 12.5 after trying all accessories. Problem is will not start... no dash indicators or information display. Start button does nothing with remote in my pocket or in the slot. Both remote batteries are OK. Fuses and connectors appear OK, batt voltage at the jumpstart connection. Also do not hear any relays or pumps when pushing the start button. Any ideas or solutions? Thanks, Thurman
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be a fault with the push button or electronic ignition switch itself as I Have seen some of these fail before needing replaced to correct this fault here.I would have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.If you can get the codes read out and post the code info here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete, Your answer confuses me. I have 3 ODB scanners that I use frequently. The two that I used to read any stored codes on a Toyoto, require that the "start switch" be turned on to read the stored codes. As stated in my original question, the car will not start and there is no key except for the "power button". For other tests the engine must be running. When connected the car will power on the scanner but shows an error code in all cases where I try to read any stored codes. Maybe you have a scanner that will read the codes under this situation. In addition to the power button not functioning the led light in the switch does not come on and neither does the light in the parking switch. If you still think it is the switch, how can it be checked? Thurman
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately my info isnt showing any test procedures for the button on this here and my diagrams are somewhat limited here as well.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete