cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

I have a question regarding my 1998 4runner
, yes, one

Customer Question

Customer: i have a question regarding my 1998 4runner
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes, one of the wires on my ignitor box? (sorry i dont know what its called, it controls the ignition and its right next to the maf) got ripped out.i drove it home fine by twisting the 2 sires together but sometimes it would cut out and die. it was the red one. i got a new plug off a 96 auto tranny and i wired it back together. some of the wire colors were differnt but i made sure each wire went into the correct pin by looking at the factory one. now it can idle for about 5-10 seconds then it dies. if i keep it at 1500 rpm its fine, but if i give it full throttle while its in neutral it dies. my runner is a 5 speed, 5vz-fe
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long is the wait? and what if the advice doesnt work?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 11 months ago.

How did you rewire the plug in? with wire butt splices or by soldering the wires?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With butt connectors temporarily, I don't have a soldering iron at the moment

The wires need to be soldered and shrink wrapped to avoid loose connections and avoid adding resistance to the computer monitored circuits, which will cause the computer to fail. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ASK another question, I will continue to answer your questions, even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.