sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2007 Toyota Prius: When selecting front defogger or footwell

Customer Question

2007 Toyota Prius: When selecting front defogger or footwell vents, no air blows out. The dash vents open and close when selecting options. We recently moved from Hawaii to Nebraska, so we are using the defogger for the first time in four years. Had AC work done at a dealership in Hawaii about a year ago when the blower went out, but never checked to see if all the vents were operating correctly. When I select the defogger, I can hear the blower ramp up to max.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the issue could be a physical blockage in the ductwork but it's unlikely. You almost surely have an issue with the mode door in the heater box. The mode door moves to control the direction of airflow. The door is controlled by an electric actuator which is driven by the control head. A failed actuator or broken door are common causes of not being able to change modes correctly.

A calibration can be attempted with a scan tool. If that doesn't change anything then the actuator can be removed to see if the door will move by hand. If there is a physical issue with the door then the heater box will need to be removed and disassembled, if the door moves by hand then the issue is with the actuator, the control head or wiring in between.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I poked around the underside of the dashboard and found the gears and mechanisms that control the airflow. When I change the configuration, things move around down there. I was able to turn a gear by hand that was not moving by pushing the buttons and now have air flowing out the defroster (but no other vents). It looks like there should be something connecting this gear to other parts that are moving. Is this something I can fix myself?

Are you able to upload a picture of what you're seeing?