Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.
24034660

My name is tage and my 4runner would not go into 3rd gear or

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** my 4runner would not go into 3rd gear or od irecently replaced the motor
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am having an overheating problem when the thermostat is in the water pump right now its running without thermostat
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sorry I cant at this moment
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello: There is a coolant sensor at the rear of the engine (this one is for the transmission) if there is a bad coolant reading then the transmission will not goe into higher gears, (this is a fail safe ) You need to correct the overheating/lack of coolant flow, first, Then when this is working, as long as sensor is connected and good, the transmission should shift into upper gears! Thanks,Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue! Have a Happy New Year!