Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

I own a 98 lexus es300. When i put the car in reverse it

Customer Question

I own a 98 lexus es300. When i put the car in reverse it doesnt kick the reverse lights on unless i move the gear shifter up slightly and hold it there. On the dash the R doesnt light up unless i do said action as well. Reverse itself works fine in the transmission and there are no mechanical problems with the transmission. Is there an easy way to fix this or is this gonna be an expensive fix?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

There's two possibilities. Either the range selector switch is out of align and can be adjusted, or it will have to be replaced.If the switch can be adjusted, figure about $100. If the switch has to be replaced, figure about $300 - $350.

The switch is also called the neutral start switch and the neutral safety switch.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this or if there is anything more I can do to help you.

DJ

Expert:  Dj replied 11 months ago.

I didn't hear back from you. Is this the information you were looking for or did you have something else in mind?

DJ