sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I need help! My 2008 Toyota ghlander Limited (with

Customer Question

Customer: I need help! My 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited (with navigation) is having an audio problem, with rattling noise. I can change the radio stations, but there is no sound. Similarly, when I insert a disc to play, there is no sound while the disc is playing. I hear rattling noise intermittently, while trying to listen to the radio/cd player. Help anyone?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The problem arose after I replaced the car battery.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the issue could be with the radio itself but if the radio appears to operate normally and with no sound it's usually due to an amplifier issue. If the amp has failed or is missing a power or ground then there will be no sound.

Was sound in all speakers lost at the same time?

Have you tried a battery disconnect?

Can you describe the rattling sound?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. Sound in all speakers were lost at the same time.
2. By the way, I just replaced the car battery. Soon after replacement, the radio worked well for about 3 hours before it went off.
3. The rattling sound is like .... krarararara
4. What is a battery disconnect.

A battery disconnect is disconnecting a battery cable.

Where does the sound come from and how do you make it happen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Like I said before, I disconnected and replaced the old battery with a new one. Thereafter, the radio performed well as I could hear all the sound.
About 3 hours later, the loss of sound occurred. Now, I can switch from station to station, or insert a CD and observe it playing, but there is no sound/audio from any of the speakers. Rather, I hear the rattling noise through the speakers intermittently.
The sound happens after I start the car, driving on the highway, suddenly the rattling sound will occur and stop and after a while, it will repeat itself again. Meanwhile, there is no authentic sound from the radio or CD.

Do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No.

It will take some testing of the amp's power and ground feeds and a scan tool should really be used for diagnosis, but you almost certainly will need an amplifier.