Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon with 110K miles. My mechanic

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon with 110K miles. My mechanic says I should change the timing change and the water pump at the same time. Should I do both and can you give me a ballpark estimate of the costs?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for allowing me to help you with this concern. Your mechanics suggestion is really his/her way of looking out for your best interest. At this mileage, it is time to replace your Timing belt, now even if the waterpump isn't leaking then what do you think the chances are of it going another 110K miles before it leaks?

Very slim to none. It most likely will leak which means that this job will have to be done all over again when it does. Now is the time to replace the pump. It will save you time, money and give peace of mind knowing that you have a new timing belt and waterpump rather than a new timing belt turning a waterpump that has 100K miles on it that 'could' leak sometime in the near future.

Now, do you have to replace it, no. But I would if it were mine. As for the cost, it will depend on where you get the work done (Dealer vs Independent) and what parts you use (OEM Toyota parts vs Aftermarket parts) but the cost for this job will ballpark about $650.