Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

89 22re fuel pump not pumping any fuel. How would i test to

Customer Question

Customer: 89 22re fuel pump not pumping any fuel. How would i test to insure it is pump or wiring
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: pulled vacuum line off and truck stopped running got spark but no fuel found oil in the intake
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

The easiest test it to use a paper clip bent into a U shape to 'hot wire' the fuel pump.

Under the hood next to the fuse box is a small black box marked DIAGNOSIS.

Inside the lid is a chart that shows what each of the terminals is. We want to jumper B+ to FP.

B+ is 12 volts with the key in the RUN position. FP is for fuel pump.

Turn the key on. This will run power to the fuel pump and you should be able to hear the pump running. Take off the fuel cap and stick your ear to the fuel filler if you can't hear it.

If you look at the terminals in the diagnosis box from the top they look like this. O_O Stick one leg of the paper clip into the FP terminal and the other into the B+. The paper clip will fit right into the O of the terminal end O_O.

Try this test and let me know what you find. We'll figure out what's wrong when we do this test.

DJ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just waiting to get a hold of my brother as I have to explain to him what to do then wait for him to try and get back to me.
it is a slow process
Expert:  Dj replied 11 months ago.

No problem.

I'll be available when you are.

DJ