Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Boxer. I have a 2009 camry hybrid with aroun 90,000 miles. I

Customer Question

Hi boxer.
I have a 2009 camry hybrid with aroun 90,000 miles. I was driving on the freeway when the p/s light came on and the care became very difficult to steer. Thankfully i was close to an exit and was able to stop safely. I turned off the engine. A few minutes later after calling my husband i turned tje engine on and the warning life was off and the steeering wheel functioned again
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What could have cauaed this? Will it happen again?
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.

I take it that you haven't had a chance to get this concern checked out by a repair shop yet. correct?

Do you remember if the steering wheel shook any or was it just hard to steering?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No shaking. Just hard to steer.

Did you happen to notice any other warning lights on?

I apologize for the delayed response, has it happened again since we last chatted?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No other warning lights came on. And it has only happened once. It has not happened again.

I see. Well so far and for now we are good. Sometimes we do have customers come into our Toyota Dealer with this same concern and we find nothing, only for them to never return. These systems can develop a glitch that shows up once but never again. I know this is not the best news but want to be honest.

For now, I would just drive it and if it happens again, then immediately take it to the closest Dealer without turning the Camry off. Just pull into the Service drive and leave it running. Let the service adviser know what is going on and that you would like it checked for any codes. This will ensure that we find what is going on (if it happens again) and get to the bottom of this.

If they find something wrong, tell the dealer that you would like a DPR (Dealer Product Report) filed with Toyota so that any other Camry Hybrid owners out there who may be experiencing the same concern will have the report with Toyota on file. If this leads to a Recall or a Repair TSB. Toyota will notify you personally as will every other owner thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Genchi,Thank you for your advise. I apologize for the delay in returning your email. I have been traveling and just returned last week.My husband use the car in my absence and reported that the condition didn't happen when her used it. However, tonight, add I was driving home, it occurred again. I was making a turn when I felt the steering wheel
Tightening up again. Because of the late hour, the dealership is already closed so I couldn't take the car there immediately as you recommended. What do you think could be causing this?